What is the Journal to the Self Instructor Certification Training?
The Instructor Certification Training is a professional skills training that prepares qualified individuals to teach the Journal to the Self curriculum, and/or facilitate groups using its methods, in their own communities.
When fully completed, this certification course carries 28 CE hours for licensed therapists under our approved provider status with the National Board of Certified Counselors. Click here to learn more about NBCC CEUs.
The Best of Both Worlds!
Two years ago, COVID put a halt to our very popular twice-yearly five-day Journal to the Self instructor certification training intensives with Kay Adams. Since then, we’ve processed all applicants through our tried-and-true home study program.
Now, in 2022, we have married the live Intensive and the self-paced, audio-based home study program into a new hybrid video program!
Starting March 1, 2022, all new applicants (and any current trainees who have not completed either or both of Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the training) will be automatically upgraded to an all-new video training with Kay facilitating both Stage 1 (the actual Journal to the Self workshop) and Stage 2 (the facilitation and marketing training) in 12 two-hour sessions (six sessions each)!
For the first time, we have captured on video Kay’s facilitation and teaching with a live group on Zoom!
From the convenience and comfort of your own home, you will take the Journal to the Self workshop facilitated by Kay Adams with a group of nine trainees. You will write along with them, listen to their sharing, and learn from Kay’s spontaneous meta-notes on facilitation skill-building and pitfalls to avoid.
Again on your own time and in your own space, you will participate in six sessions of skills training, including:
- A walk-through of your own Journal to the Self teaching manual
- The logistics of teaching:
- The optimum number of students for a Journal to the Self group
- How to set fees for both private groups and contracted services
- Finding low- or no-cost physical and virtual venues for teaching
- How to customize the basic workshop for any specialized audience or population
- How to attract students:
- Marketing for non-marketers: Two simple secrets of success and ten steps to get you there
- A special segment devoted to social media marketing, with TWI’s social media faculty, Meghan Barich
- The eight best self-promotion tips you’ll ever need
- How to align with primary influencers who can help you network your way into repeat business
- When and how to offer a free or low-cost pilot session for skill-building, feedback and networking
- Sample scripts for talking with people about Journal to the Self
- Worksheets for a marketing plan designed to earn back all of the tuition for the Instructor Certification Training in your first two paid classes
- For eligible licensed psychotherapists, how to offer 12 continuing education hours by piggybacking on the Center for Journal Therapy’s approved continuing education provider status with the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- Practice teaching:
- Optional (for now) practice teaching on Zoom with critique from peers, Kay Adams and business coach Krista Gano
- There is a small additional fee for practice teaching until mid-2022, when ICT prices will increase to accommodate practice teaching as a required component of the program
- Support services:
- Automatic membership to the instructors-only Facebook group, moderated by ICT certified instructors
- A listing in our international instructor directory, located at journaltherapy.com
- Access to the library of curricula customized for various specialized populations
- Certified instructor badges for your email footers, websites and social media presences