We are gathering at the beautiful 1300-acre Kanuga Conference Center, a mountain retreat setting near Asheville NC. Because of housing limitations at the venue, we can only accept 250 participants, so we encourage your early response. Register today at the early bird rate of $385 (a 15% savings!) to confirm your space. Register before March 31 to get the EARLYBIRD RATE! Use code “EARLYBIRD” when prompted for a discount code at checkout.
This Conference is for YOU, if You Are:
- A journal writer of any level of experience
- A therapist, coach, facilitator, or helping professional who uses journals with clients
- A teacher or instructor of writing or journal writing
- A student/alumni at the Therapeutic Writing Institute, a member of the Journalverse, or a certified instructor of Journal to the Self® workshops
- Interested in the use of journal writing for healing, growth, and change
- A poet, artist, writer, dancer, musician, or other creative being
- Kay Adams, A Pioneer Looks at Thirty
- Natasha Trethewey, 2007 Pulitzer Prize winner and 2012-14 US Poet Laureate
Pre-Conference Workshops (Thursday, May 19):
- Christina Baldwin, author of Life’s Companion and Storycatcher
- Ann Linnea, author of Deep Water Passage and partner with Christina Baldwin in PeerSpirit®
- Judy Reeves, the Lively Muse, author of A Writer’s Book of Days and Wild Women, Wild Voices
- Richard Gold, author of Writing with At-Risk Youth and founder/director of the Pongo Teen Writing Project
- Linda Joy Myers, author of The Power of Memoir and founder/director of the National Association for Memoir Writers
- Day trip to Carl Sandburg’s home, including a guided tour and writing on the grounds
Plus, Your Registration Includes:
- Your choice of a wealth of 90-minute breakout sessions and three-hour depth presentations from some of the top thinkers, leaders, and practitioners in the field
- Opening wine and cheese/dessert reception Thursday evening
- Writing with the All-Stars (Christina Baldwin, Ann Linnea, Richard Gold, Linda Joy Myers, Judy Reeves) in informal, optional Fri and Sat evening writing sessions
- All programming on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning
- You’ll share housing in charming cottages, most of which have comfortably furnished, screened-in front porches. All meals are included in your very reasonable lodging fee. It’s like summer camp for journal writers!
- Housing costs at Kanuga are: Shared twin room, Thurs-Fri-Sat nights, $320. Single room (limited availability), Thurs-Fri-Sat nights, $416. Add Wednesday night for pre-conference workshops, $105.
- If you prefer more traditional housing, we are contracting for a room block at an inn in Hendersonville. Shuttle service will be provided between Kanuga and the inn.
- There are four airports that serve Kanuga. Ashevelle (AVL) is the closest; within approximately an hour’s drive are either Tri-Cities (TRI) or Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP); about two hours away is Charlotte International Airport (CLT). Here is Kanuga’s webpage on travel; scroll down for flight information. A shuttle from theAsheville airport to Kanuga will be available only for those staying at Kanuga. You may order this at registration.
- Sixteen (16) CE hours for the full Fri-Sat-Sun conference; add 2.25 or 5.5 CE hours for one or two pre-conference workshops.
- The National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) has approved the Center for Journal Therapy as a provider of continuing education (ACEP #5732).
- Application is pending with the National Association for Social Workers (NASW). We expect final approval by March 31.